Friday, February 14, 2020

Major Trouble Biography

I started college wanting to become an engineer. I didn't really know if I truly wanted to do engineering, but my academic strengths were in math and science. So I originally majored in biomedical engineering and enjoyed my course work. During the fall of my sophomore year, I was made aware that the biomedical engineering degree program was not yet ABET accredited. ABET is a national engineering association that approves degree plans to ensure they meet national standards and produce competent engineers. Without an ABET degree, it is difficult to get internships and a professional engineering license. I met with the director of the chemical engineering department, and he allowed me to switch majors without falling behind in my coursework. This allowed me to keep my graduation date on time with an ABET accredited chemical engineering degree!


Author's Note:
I like telling people this story. I think it illustrates to people that you can still change your major if need be even into your sophomore year! I had some fortunate help from the director, but I was still able to keep the same graduation date without delays.

No comments:

Post a Comment