Tuesday, January 14, 2020

My Thoughts on the Growth Mindset

The growth mindset is a topic that interests me, and I believe it to be very important when it comes to not only educating yourself but others as well. I have observed elements of both mindsets in my thoughts regarding education in both my current and past education. I agree that the growth mindset is the proper mindset. When I think with elements of the fixed mindset it disappoints me, but it is also reality. I believe that praising children for their high test scores is still something we should implement, because to do well on a test usually means that a child studied hard and put forth effort. This effort is exactly what we want out of young developing minds. However, the workplace will not be filled with situations where we know the answer because we studied it. The workplace is filled with situations where we will have to think critically and problem solve to achieve a goal. When that time comes, I hope that individuals are ready and comfortable to brainstorm and tackle issues. People cannot be comfortable with this in the workplace if they have never stepped into this uncomfortable realm before. Therefore, there should be a time in the educational system where a student is no longer taught everything they need to achieve high test scores. But where should this transition take place? Personally, I don't know when this should take place, but for me, I could no longer study and make easy A's by simply regurgitating information my second year of college. From then on, I had to study all I could, and then when the exam came, I had to brainstorm, think critically, and problem solve my way to the best "solution" I could. I say solution because it was more than an answer. It was a fully thought out process in which my answer could solve the task at hand. I don't have the answers that I wish I had right now, but hopefully when the time comes I will be able to think critically and problem solve proficiently in the workplace as well as teach others in a growing and efficient manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment