Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Wikipedia Trail, Ramayana to Shurpanakha

Ramayana
I chose to begin my research with the Ramayana. I am interested in learning more about the plot and character traits. I hoped this would serve as preparation for reading the story come week 3. Wikipedia was helpful and did not disappoint.

The trail then led me to Ravana. He is responsible for kidnapping Sika and sparking conflict with Rama. I am interested to learn more about the king of Lanka and his generals/sons.
Statue of Ravana from Wikipedia

I followed the rabbit hole to Rama's brother, Lakshmana. He is responsible for cutting off the nose of Ravana's sister, Shurpanakha. This was the action that upset Ravana and was the reason Sika was kidnapped from Rama.

The rabbit hole ends at the Wikipedia page of Shurpanakha. She is the sister of the king of Lanka, Ravana. She wanted to be Rama's wife, so she attacked Sita. This is what caused Lakshmana to strike her and cut off her nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment